Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Norwegian Wood

Title- Norwegian Wood

Author- Haruki Murakami
Rating- 5/5
Comments- It's hard to be a proud Japanese when you haven't read at least one of Haruki Murakami's books. That's what I've discovered anyway. Which led me to reading Norwegian Wood. And I must say, that I was not disappointed at all. 


The story is told by Toru Watanabe, a man who looks back at the 1960s- the confusing years when he was just coming of age. He is an average college student, living in a dorm in Tokyo, without much of a clue of what he wants to get out of life. After his only best friend, Kizuki, commits suicide, Toru is left behind with Kizuki's girlfriend, Naoko, with whom he never had much of a strong relationship with. But things start to alter and eventually the two become very close. However, the death of Kizuki seems to scar Naoko much deeper than it does to Toru and she is soon sent off to a rehabilitation center as she tries to recover. 


Toru discovers the love that he has developed for Naoko, and spends most of his time waiting for her to get better. The two exchange letters and he goes to visit her at the center. But Toru's life starts to change after a girl in his drama class, Midori, talks to him and the two develop a strong friendship, which slowly turns into love. 


The decision is then up to Toru- to stay with his past and Naoko or to let go of everything and enter the future with Midori?


Although this book was written about very dark and involves quite depressing issues, it was nearly impossible to put the book down. Murakami deals with feelings so well and it amazed me that he managed to describe lots of feelings that I have found impossible to put into words. And it was so satisfying to just sit, and know what feeling he was talking about due to his thorough descriptions. 


One thing that I believe is a sign of a truly good book, is if you feel like the characters are your closest friends. And for me, I felt like Toru was my best friend, sometimes even myself. Murakami really has a way with descriptions and he leaves such precise imprints on the reader.


I really do take my hat off to him and I can't wait to read his other books. But next book up is the Metamorphosis and later, The Great Gatsby. Oh the excitement of reading new books!

No comments:

Post a Comment