Thursday, June 2, 2011

Pirates, Cough Drops, and Summer

"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
Drink and devil had done for the rest
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!"


I've been lying curled up all day with Dad's copy of Treasure Island, immersing myself in a world of buccaneers, hidden treasures, and warm tropical islands. The weather has been pretty much the same outside as in the book, but I've been too busy sucking steadily on my endless supply of cough drops in hopes of calming my scratchy throat, and wiping my runny rose, to go outside and enjoy it. 


Shame.


But Robert Louis Stevenson's imagination has been keeping me company so I can hardly complain. 


The end of school approaches. The assignments and tests are done with. Grades have been set. Graduation in a week. I'm pleased. 


And soon I'll be in Japan. Eating delectable traditional food and meeting my sweet grandparents. 


Being ill is pretty terrible, but I've got way too many good things outweighing it to ruin my day. So excuse me, I must return to the doings of the one-legged Captain Long John Silver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment