Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Possibly Hairy Situation

After much thought, I finally booked and made the nerve-wrecking trip to the hairdressers. Somehow 2011 seems to have called for changes, and to celebrate it, I've gotten a fringe (or bangs, if that's the term you prefer)! It was a spontaneous idea that was converted into reality. I'm so proud of myself. The last time I had a fringe was when I was 8 and the last daring thing I ever did to my hair was get it cut into a bob by my mother in our very own bathroom after watching a sing-a-long program with a woman with a bob on it. Unfortunately, the bob suited her and not me, and I only realized this after I had chopped off the majority of my hair. Since then, I haven't really have the courage to change.

As I lay in my chair today, with my head in a sink, hair lathered in an unfamiliar shampoo with foreign hands massaging my head, it dawned upon me that I was giving this 28 (ish) year-old blonde male hairdresser the responsibility that could earn me an awful lot of unwanted embarrassment. And to be perfectly honest, it scared me. But I guess it's one of those risks you take in life. Thankfully this guy was good at what he was doing so my hair looks absolutely fine and my family has assured me that I am in a fit state to go to school tomorrow.

But if you think about it, there are tons of jobs where we give all our trust to somebody with the risk that what they do could affect our lives dramatically. Here are some that I've figured.

  • Hairdresser (If they suck and you're not happy with the result, you're screwed for the next 6 months of your life.)
  • Doctor (Your life is in their hands. I don't think there's a better way to phrase that.)
  • Lawyer (There is always the risk that you will lose something, mostly money... or you could end up in jail.)
  • Pilot (You crash, you die. And so do the other 200 people on the plane.)
  • Teacher (If the kids learn nothing and grow up to become stupid people, teachers get the blame. Not always so nice.)
  • Tattoo artist (One mistake and it could ruin somebody's life. And sorry doesn't cut it.)

So far, that's all that I can think of, but I bet there must be more. Although I do suppose that every job in this world will affect a life in one way or another, but these are the most dramatic ones.

I'm pleased though. I was scared at that moment when he took my hair and asked me if I was ready for him to snip it off. And I was ready. And it looks good. Great actually. 

Thank god he didn't end up ruining the next 6 months of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment