Wednesday, January 26, 2011

An Embarrassing Moment of Realization

The radio was turned on in the kitchen today. As usual. But today we listened to music instead of the news. I didn't really pay attention. Until suddenly, James Blunt's song, "You're beautiful" came on. 

I suddenly remembered the days when I was a tiny little 12 year old. This was probably the most played song on my iPod. It became a mantra. I listened to it countless times wondering if there would be a guy out there who thought about me in that way. 
"You're beautiful it's true." 
And what I thought then was - Could a song be any more beautiful?

So here I was, at age 16, standing in the kitchen dancing around reminiscing over my days as a "pre-teen", when suddenly, I started listening to the lyrics. 
Perhaps I should have stopped.
Run out of the kitchen.
Held my ears.
But I didn't, and for the first time, I heard what the lyrics REALLY implied. 

James Blunt talks of seeing a girl one time, then judging her by her appearance, and claiming that he'd like to be with her forever. But what if that girl, however beautiful she may have been, was the meanest person on earth? Or the blandest? Or possibly the kindest? Did he care what her personality was? Not really. He just decided that he'd like to be with this gorgeous person without even exchanging a single word with her. 

I know the world is getting strange, but that's just over the top.

I couldn't stop cringing. I can't believe how gullible I was at the time! How could I possibly think this song beautiful? It is just plain offensive and very shallow of him. 

If he'd like to mention that he thought a girl he saw in the subway was pretty, fine.
If he'd like to sing a song about a girl who he'd like to spend the rest of her life, fine. 
But combining the two is just unrealistic. 

This song is, in my opinion, offending. And it makes me realize how gullible I used to be, and how much older and wiser I've become, in a good way that is. 

Hopefully I don't get one of these embarrassing moments of realization again. 
Because I can tell you, it wasn't too comfortable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment