Monday, January 24, 2011

One Day

Title- One Day
Author- David Nicholls
Rating- 5/5
Comments- I love this book. I'm not usually a sucker for romantic stories because they always tend to be so unrealistic and things always end so happily. It's a great getaway, but I'm a realist, so romantic books aren't always my thing. This book, is definitely different from other romantic books. It doesn't just deal with love, but also with life, growing old, and friendships. "One Day" spans over a period of 20 years, with each chapter set on July the 15th, describing the two friends, Emma and Dexter's life each year. The stories begins with their meeting, which is on the day they graduate from college and continues on from there. They develop a strong friendship which is verging on the border of love. 
I found this book so great because the plot was so honest. It wasn't just about a couple of melodramatic decisions made by a band of hopeless drama queens and everything being all happy and dandy at the end. There were big mistakes and important choices made through the entire book as well as moments of realization making the whole story very believable and easy to relate to.
It isn't always a feel good book and occasionally I started shouting at the book due to some of the silly decisions made by the characters, but I think that's what makes it so great. Because their lives weren't perfect. And by the end, it felt like I knew them both as well as I know some of my closest friends. 
Out of the way cliché chick lits! This is what I call quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment